Thursday, April 10, 2008

Speak Your Truth

The only truth you can ever speak is your own. One of the things I love about life is the way two people can look at the same situation and see two different things, to the point where sometimes I even wonder if we've been at the same place at the same time.

Does this ever happen to you?

Our personal truth comes from the way we interpret the world around us. So much of the way we interpret the world around us comes from the rules we've made as we've moved through our own game of life.

The rules we've created are based on the decisions and beliefs we've made as a result of the way we've deleted, distorted and generalized the information around us.

Let's face it with about 2 millions of bits of information coming at us via the input channels of our 5 senses every second, (Mihaly Csikszentmihaly, Flow) there's no way we're going to manage to catch all of it.

So we develop filters based on our interpretations of our experiences and out of the 2 million bits we process around .000067%. That's a lot of stuff left out!

A really excellent example of this is when we or someone we know decide to purchase a new car. We choose something that's a bit different that we may rarely have ever seen on the road before. And yet the moment we decide upon that particular model and colour, all of a sudden they're everywhere.

A friend of mine opened my eyes to the possibility that within groups the ... let's call it 'yuk' cascades downhill. What she meant was if something happens to you then somewhere in your life you're doing it to someone.

I had never really noticed this in my life before, however once she had presented the idea, the reality of it hit home almost immediately. We had a discussion which I simply couldn't seem to get my point of view across no matter how many different ways I phrased it. In the end we agreed to differ.

A couple of hours later she received a phone call and was telling me about this particular situation and as it dawned on me that it was different circumstances but the same situation we'd had earlier, it dawned on her too.

Now I don't believe this is something which 'HAS' to happen. In my world (Wonderland or Fairy Princessland) I believe that if there is something that happens to us and we don't like it, then that's our opportunity to correct it within us. We don't have to inflict it on others to learn the lesson.

I believe in fact that we can take that bit of information about how we don't like to be treated and make sure that we treat others that way instead of passing the 'yuk' onto others.

I had a conversation with my friend which was my attempt at politely drawing my line in the sand about how I would like to be treated. We again had to agree to differ.

And I was so pleased with myself an hour or so later when I was in discussion with someone else.

I had one of those sitting outside myself experiences where I realized I could end up leaving the person I was in discussion with feeling the way I had felt earlier or I could find a different way to express myself and they could feel good about themselves and maybe open their mind to other possibilities.

It was one of the most mind opening conversations I had ever had, not only was I able to present my point of view in a way which validated the other person and opened their mind to new possibilities but it opened my mind at the same time.

It's so easy to get on our bandwagon and forget that others have their own reality. And although that reality might be different to ours that makes it no less right, it just makes it different to ours.

The bottom line for all of us, is how we view our life is up to us as individuals.

Love life and live it creatively,

Leanne

If you’re looking to feel great about yourself and your life check out our fabulous audios at www.yoursuccessfulmind.com/feelinggreat.html MindRight Programming Tools to put you back in the driver’s seat of your life!

No comments: