Saturday, April 26, 2008

Perception is projection ... or is it?


Perception is projection ... basically this means you can't see anything outside of you that isn't you.

What you see and the interpretation you place on what's happening in the world around you are a direct reflection of your current circumstances. You can't see what's outside of your situation or circumstances.

Personally, this has caused me some angst as I've truly come to understand this concept. And I must admit there have been and are times when I would much rather this wasn't true, as I've had emotional charges on different things that have happened either to me or around me.

But as I've come to appreciate and understand this concept, I've grown to realize what a fabulous tool it is to move me forward in my life.

What you see, hear, feel and what you understand, believe, value, intend and so on, reflects your model of the world. You project your ideas, maps, understandings and mental movies onto the world of objects, people and experiences.

We all built our mental models from the events, experiences and interactions that we've come across in life. We build our ‘rule book’ if you will, from our interpretation of the things others say and do. The 'world' does get in, but not unfiltered. We filter it. In fact, we delete, distort and generalize it based on the ‘rules’ we’ve created as we’ve moved through life.

When I first began assimilating this into my life I found it quite challenging. However as I’ve moved from ‘wishing’ my life was a certain way, to actively finding my purpose and creating the life of my dreams, I’ve found this to be an extremely useful tool.

And one of the big things I’ve noticed is how my outlook has changed. Rather than noticing the things that aren’t going the way I want them to, I’m looking for the things that are going right, that are validating that I’m on the right path.

As my commitment to growing my self as a person has grown, so I’ve found that I’m also being presented with the people and circumstances that are confirming that growth.

So for me, I’m creating a self-fulfilling prophecy based on what’s going right for me, in me and in my world. The more things I notice that are going right, the more right things are going and the more I notice things are going right.

For me, my truth is that perception is projection and it’s all feedback. The more we’re able to stand outside ourselves and look at our lives, almost from the outside, the cleaner and clearer our perception and the more useful and valuable our feedback.

This means that we can actually alter our filters, look for the things that validate the good things in our lives and create more of them.

Is that possible? Who knows? All I can say is it works for me. How about you? What's your experience?

Love life and live it creatively,

Leanne
If you’re looking to feel great about yourself and your life check out our fabulous audios at www.yoursuccessfulmind.com/feelinggreat.html MindRight Programming Tools to put you back in the driver’s seat of your life!

No comments: