Monday, October 6, 2008

Ralph Waldo Emerson and Self Trust

Self trust is the first secret of success.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I love this quote by Emerson. Why do so many us give ourselves such a hard time? A lack of self trust. Why do so many businesses and relationships fail? A lack of self trust.

If you set your goals and don't achieve them, you're in risky territory. You begin to doubt yourself and then you lose confidence. An incongruent person begins to emerge, someone who says one thing and does another. Even if the incongruence isn't noticed by the outside world, it's noticed in the inside world of the most important person concerned ... yourself!

Think about it for a bit. If you decide you're going to start working out, keep a clean office, be on time or set clearer boundaries in your relationships. Then you skip a few days of working out, your office goes to mess, you're habitually late and you cross boundaries. Then what happens? You lose your trust in yourself.

According to Emerson self trust is the first key to success. Why? Because trust builds confidence! When you do what you say you'll do you trust yourself. One of the most impactful things a person can do to improve their life, is to follow through on their decisions and goals; to keep the promises you make to yourself.

Follow through creates self trust and self trust creates momentum.

Do you trust yourself? I mean really trust yourself? Emerson says this is the first secret of success and I believe him.

Sometimes though, we have such high expectations for ourselves and it can seem so hard. One statement which has had an enormous impact on my ability to change the way I do things is ... 'Just for today!'

Trust is built in small steps, just like learning to walk ... on step at a time ... one goal at a time. If life happens, rather than beating yourself up ... ask yourself ... 'What did I learn from this?'

So .. Just for today ... Set a goal ... a small goal ... follow through on that goal and then congratulate yourself for your achievement.

Then tomorrow ... Just for that day ... set another goal ... and follow through on that one.

I'd love to hear about the goals you're setting and how that's impacting your life.

Love life and live it creatively,

Leanne

If you’re looking to feel great about yourself and your life check out our fabulous audios at www.YourSuccessfulMind.com/FeelingGreat MindRight Programming Tools to put you back in the driver’s seat of your life!

5 comments:

pockadola said...

Leanne, for a week now I've been mastering how to mentally calculate percentages. I know I should have learnt this skill a long time ago. But it's relatively simple. I did a google search, and got some strategies, played with it a bit and now I'm confident that with a little practice everyday I can master it.

Keeyong, Melbourne, Vic

Leanne Watson said...

Thanks very much Shea. Sorry I've been 'absent' for a while life became very full! However I'm back now.

Love life and live it creatively!

Leanne

Leanne Watson said...

Percentages always make me think! It's amazing what can be worked out with a Google search.

Love life and live it creatively

Leanne

Anonymous said...

Hello !

I was searching for another quotation of Emerson, and then I found this is one.

It is very nice, how you explain it !

May I say, this quotation remembered me immediately of other thing that what said.

It was something that an ancient, great yogi teached some seven thousand years ago. This master was Sada Shiva, and he teached also the seven secrets of success, the first one being "firm determination".

As I was reading your explanation, I could saw better how similar are what Sada Shiva and Emerson said.

Because, if we fail, even temporarily, in reaching some goal we have set to ourselves, what keeps us persisting until we reach the goal? So, I could see that self-trust is very similar to determination in trying to achieve something.

Thank you !

Leanne Watson said...

What a great analogy Mahesh. I will cerainly google Sada Shiva and read more about his teachings.

It's interesting how long ago it was. The book I'm reading at the moment is discussing the split in eastern and western thinking and how only in the last 50 odd years western science is now starting to prove what Eastern thinking has always known.

I find it amazing how you can thinking about something and then it pops up in all different places ... synchronicity ... magic.

Love life and live it creatively,
Leanne