Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Tyranny of When ... then ...

Most of us grow up living our lives with the concept of ‘Responsible people complete tasks they need to do before turning to those they want to do.’

‘When-then’ has lots of paybacks
It tells us that doing necessary jobs is an obligation, not a choice. It emphasizes that work comes before play. And it offers the promise of a reward or fun activity once the work is done.

It’s great when we’ve set a goal and we’re working systematically towards achieving it. It gives us that push to do the things we’re not so ... wrapped ... about doing in order to have the rewards of achieving our goals.

However, like most things in life there’s an upside and a downside and it can seriously impact our results when working with the Law of Attraction which tells us we need to be happy in the moment.

How do you know if you’re suffering from the Tyranny of ... When ____ then ___

There are some telltale signs in the language we use.
Do you use these sorts of phrases when you’re talking ... to yourself or others :))
  • When I lose twenty kilos then I'll like myself
  • When I find a partner then I'll be happy
  • When I get that raise then I'll be happy
  • When I pay off my mortgage then I'll feel secure
Trouble is we get so caught up in the doing, we forget to be happy in the moment and we end up pushing the things we really want away.

We work really hard and achieve the goal and then there’s just another goal to fill its place and we end up perpetuating that feeling of never arriving, of never being happy, or never being adequate or satisfied.


We forget that we only get one chance at this lifetime and the reality is, it’s the journey that matters.


So how about a little re-framing:
  • I'll be happy now and then I'll lose twenty kilos and it will be a bonus
  • I'll be happy now and then I'll get that raise and it will be a bonus
  • I'll be happy now and then I'll pay off the mortgage and it will be a bonus
  • I'll be happy now and then I'll find a partner and it will be a bonus
Everything you do in this world - all of it - is centred around being happy, around choosing to be happy, about expressing the essence of being happy.

Everyth
ing else is simply part of the joy ride - all the money, clothes, belongings, adventures, awards - those are all by-products of you feeling great and making happiness your primary objective.

The biggest legacy you can ever create and the one that will make the biggest difference to you and the people around you is you living, breathing and enjoying the life your living.


Remember:
Arriving at the destination is a bonus ... its how much fun you have along the way that’s the REAL reward!


Love life and live it creatively and on purpose!

Leanne
PS If you’re looking to feel great about yourself and your life check out our fabulous audios at www.YourSuccessfulMind.com/FeelingGreat MindRight Programming Tools to put you back in the driver’s seat of your life!

No comments: