Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Right Of Consciousness

Cruising around the internet I found a recent issue of Rebecca Fine's newsletter, The Certain Way with a story by master story teller Alan Cohen about how world famous Austrian American violinist Fritz Kreisler came by his beloved Stradivarius violin.

Here's what Alan Cohen wrote:


Fritz Kreisler was a skilled and devoted violinist who had a lifelong dream to own a Stradivarius. For many years Fritz worked to earn enough money to buy the coveted and rare instrument.

Finally he took his life savings to New York City's music district and searched many stores. After numerous inquiries, he found a shop with a Stradivarius for sale. The shopkeeper went to the back of the store, removed the violin from under lock and key, and showed it to Fritz.

Fritz's eyes lit up and his heart began to pound as he held the delicate instrument to his neck and began to play.
Heavenly tones sang forth, and Fritz knew this was indeed the instrument he had dreamed of.

When he asked the owner the price, Fritz was shocked to learn it was twice the amount
he had saved. "Can we work out a payment plan?" asked Fritz hopefully.

"Sorry, we don't do that," answered the shopkeeper.


"Then will you hold the violin for me until I can borrow more money to purchase it?"

"I'm afraid I cannot do that, either, sir. If someone comes in and offers the asking price, I will have to sell it to that customer."

Fritz went home and scurried to gather together more money from friends and investors. He made slow progress, but within a month he found people to help him. Eagerly he returned to the music store and told the owner he was now able to make the purchase.


"You're just a little late," the shopkeeper explained. "A few days ago a wealthy collector ca
me in and purchased the Stradivarius."

Fritz was crestfallen. He had come SO close to having his heart's desire!
On his way out of the store, an idea occurred to him. He turned and asked the shopkeeper, "Would you give me the name of that collector? I will contact him directly and ask if he would sell it to me."

The shopkeeper gave Fritz the information, and he made an appointment to go see the owner.

"It's been my lifelong dream to own this instrument," Fritz told the fellow. "Would you consider selling it to me? I think I can get some more money to purchase it from you at a profit."


The owner shook his head and answered, "I'd like to help you out, but I know the value of this violin. It is the jewel of my collection. I intend to keep it as an heirloom."


"I understand," answered Fritz. "Perhaps, then, you would let me play the violin for just a minute or two. It would mean a lot to me, and I will keep the memory for a lifetime." The collector consented and handed Fritz the violin.

Joyfully Fritz took up the bow and, knowing he would never play this violin again, made the instrument sing with absolute passion. After a few minutes he returned the violin to its owner, thanked the man, and made his way to the door.


As Fritz had his hand on the door-knob, the owner called him back.
"Don't go," he told him. "You made such beautiful music. I bought this violin simply as a collector's item. You will bring more happiness and beauty to the world with it than I will. The violin belongs to you. Here, please take it."

Society's rules of ownership are superseded by a profound spiritual principle called The Right of Consciousness. You own what you own not by money or force, but by your love for it and your spiritual connection to it.

Update
: The Library of Congress has a collection of Stradivarius violins and Kreisler in keeping with the spirit of his benefactor so many years before, in 1952, Kriesler donated a violin made around 1730 to 1733 by Giuseppe Guarneri del Gesù, another revered violin maker rivaled only by Antonio Stradivari.
Guarneri made another violin around that same time from the same wood as the "Kreisler" violin. The instrument, named the "Baron Vitta" after its first known owner, was acquired by Szymon Goldberg in 1958. In May 2007, the "Baron Vitta" was given to the Library by Goldberg's wife, Miyoko Yamane Goldberg, ultimately reuniting these "twin" instruments.

Love life and live it creatively,

Leanne
If you’re looking to feel great about yourself and your life check out our fabulous audios at www.YourSuccessfulMind.com/FeelingGreat MindRight Programming Tools to put you back in the driver’s seat of your life!

No comments: